In recent announcements, Six Apart has announcement that the next version of MT will be Movable Type 3.0, which is a free upgrade to the current versions. Movable Type Pro, a paid version, will follow 3.0 and will focus on features for business and organizations. MT 3.0 will include new features such as:
- Comment registration. As a response to both comment spam and to the increased usage of Movable Type on large community sites, we'll be adding the option to restrict comments to registered users.
- Improved comment and TrackBack management features.
- New API hooks for plugin developers. Plugins will now be able to hook into many more pieces of Movable Type, including adding callbacks for saving and removing objects, building application methods with integration into the UI, and hooking into the publishing process. This opens up possibilities for plugins to add even more advanced functionality than they're able to do now.
- User interface rebuilt using CSS. We've seen with TypePad that a CSS-based interface gives users very fast application response times, and gives us a flexible interface for making application-wide changes, and we want to give this same speed and flexibility to Movable Type users.
- Support for the Atom API. We've already added Atom syndication feed support in version 2.65 of Movable Type, and we'll be adding publishing support for the API in 3.0.
The announcement also alludes to some other features to be announced later. I am particularily interested in the comment management features being added. A beta is expected in the first quarter of 2004.